Friday, November 18, 2016

Day 12 - November

Today is Day 12 of the Writer's Digest November PAD Chapbook Challenge.  I've been kind of hopping around, because not all of this month's challenges have inspired me yet, but I hope they will.  I am still trying.  I'm still in the game.  Let me know what you think!  I really do want to know!

November

The crunch of leaves under my tall black boots on a lunchtime walk.
The smell of wood smoke in the air,
and the buzz of a chainsaw in the far distance.

Memories rise of fall mornings,
preparing wood to be saved and stacked so we would be warm for winter.
Dressed in flannel and thermal and denim,
boots on our feet and gloves on our hands,
sent out by our mother to
help our father prepare for winter storms.

Although we protested at first,
our work quickly evolved into play.
I don’t know who started it first,
but every log we threw was thrown with a word,
whether it was a
Star Wars character, or
things of a certain color, or a
popular song, or an
“and then” story.
We kept it going until we couldn’t go any farther and then we started it again.

Warming ourselves next to the wood stove,
cups of steaming hot chocolate topped with melting marshmallows.
Mom in the kitchen making lunch-
peanut butter and jelly or tuna fish sandwiches,
maybe some soup.
Rosy cheeks and runny noses, bright eyes and yawns.

November.
My sweet November.

Oh, how I miss it…




Connect with me on:
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/jennifermccann06

Twitter:  @jennifermcann06

No comments:

Post a Comment