Friday, November 1, 2013

Words vs Actions vs Washington Redskins


As I was listening to the news this morning, and hearing about this one topic for a month or so now, I have to laugh.  The president and other political groups want the Washington Redskins to change their name. 
 
At first I thought it was outrageous because what about the branding and the history, stats, trading cards, etc.  What would happen to these things?  Then I thought, well maybe they have a point, maybe the name strikes hatred in the hearts of Indians all over the United States. 

Then I read an editorial written by an Indian or had quotes from real Indians living on real reservations who weren’t really concerned about the football team.  They were saying it was really the political Indians, the ones in office or in politically affiliated groups that were concerned about the name.  And then it was stated, and I’m paraphrasing, that the Indians that aren’t registered in one group or another don’t really count because their opinion can’t be counted because they aren’t registered.  Huh?  Yeah, that’s what I said too, maybe I misunderstood. 

But what that “uncounted” Indian said was that his people were more concerned about clean water, good schools, housing, you know, the essentials.  They really didn’t feel slighted by the football team name.  So why all the fuss?  When did this nation have to be so politically correct?  We are censoring ourselves and I don’t think anyone realizes it. 

Now please don’t think I’m insensitive to the Indian nations.  My daughter is part Indian.  Not much, but enough so that when she was born I was actually asked if her father was black.  I also tried to get his family to get me more information so she would know her heritage, but no one (in his family) thought it was important.

Here’s what I want to say though, about the political correctness that has everyone taking umbrage about, well, nearly everything.  If we are so upset about a football team name then we should just stop buying tickets to those games and stop buying those items that support that particular team.  It’s as easy as that. 

Better yet, maybe we should start putting into practice ourselves what we want everyone else to do.  We expect politicians to be fine, upstanding, honest folk who are looking out for our own, and the nation’s, good. 

We should also be that in our homes, our jobs and our communities.   If we treat others as we want to be treated and not how we expect to be treated then hopefully that trend will grow and grow until we have a nation that works together for the best of our fellow man and country.   Actions will matter, not words.


 

2 comments: