Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Practice Has Begun!


It’s been a couple weeks, but I have started rehearsals for my chorus part in the play “Spoon River Anthology”.  I even have a solo.  I whistle a stanza of “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” at the end of a monologue.  It does sound haunting in the quiet theatre.  I love it!

The music is hard to memorize because it isn’t something I have on disc to practice with in the car, and although I have it on MP3 I can’t seem to get it to transfer to my IPod.  It’s an older model and I’m guessing that is why.  When we practiced as a group I had a partner to sing with, but she is also one of the main characters of the play so last night was the first time I sang without her and it totally sucked!  We kind of carried each other. 

I also found out last night that I need to find an outfit that would have passed in 1915.  We’re talking a dress or a blouse and skirt, shoes and a hat or hairstyle.  This I’m kind of freaking out about because I have no idea what to look for.  I’ve gone on-line and searched 1915 Women’s Fashions and I’ve gotten ideas but I’m not sure where to find them.  One of my friends suggested thrift shops and I will look there but I can never find anything!  However, I will try.
 
I'm partial to the one in the middle
 
I tried to prepare my boyfriend for the temporary loss of me.  I’m going to be practicing for the next three weeks almost every night.  He’s pretty bummed about it – he loses his Jeopardy partner more than he would like, but he knows it is temporary and it will be worth it in the end.

Meanwhile, I am loving being on stage again!  The nerves, the bravado – seeing the acting, feeling the emotion, putting stories together, real and make believe.  The actors are awesome – all community members with the love of acting as a common trait.  Some with amazing talent, but all with something to offer.

Yes, it’s good to be back on the stage.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Good Lord, I haven't been on stage since High School!!!
    It's not that I don't love it, it's that there never seems to be time...and now working second shift...
    Break a leg kiddo, those of us that can't will be routing for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks! It's been crazy but fun, and I'm only chorus! I'm trying to break into the dinner mystery and this is a baby step. It's been a lot of fun seeing old friends from previous plays and meeting new ones. Good times...

    ReplyDelete