Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Winner Anyway...



Today I checked the Writer’s Digest April 2015 PAD page to see if my Day 12 poem had made it on the list.  I knew it hadn’t because a list of names had gone up earlier and I wasn’t on it, but I was hoping they had just forgotten to add it.  My wishful thinking is what gets me through.  It also comes crashing down on me when all is said and done.

Here I was, feeling sorry for myself, but then I thought, I really love this poem.  I can submit it somewhere else for sure.  Plus, there are people out there that have no idea that it exists.  Because of that, I am sharing it again. 

This is about a little boy, who at the time had no idea who I was.  He had no idea that I didn’t want him to be in my daughter’s life because I knew she would never leave his father if he and his sister stayed.  This was the day I met him, for the first time.

The minute he wrapped his skinny little arms around my neck and kissed me, a stranger to him, well, it was all over for me.  Five years later he still loves me most of the time, thinks I’m pretty funny, and tries to listen for the most part.  He still likes spending time with me – watching TV, scrapbooking, and jumping in elevators to see if it will stop. 

Enjoy.


Beautiful Damage

Too trusting, arms outstretched
I love you as I walk away
You made me yours before I knew you and it wasn’t fair
Circumstances shaped you
A mother who didn’t care
Looked for her next hook-up, her next fix
A father who was as cold as an ice box
And you, still trusting
Still loving
Opening your heart to me
Love and hope on your face
I couldn’t walk far
I turned around and you hugged me,
Damaged goods, but good enough for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment