Tuesday, February 17, 2015

To Pose, Or Not To Pose, That Is The Question - Or Not

            I saw the ad in the paper today.  We are lucky to have a school that promotes the arts with many different outlets, including pottery, painting, fabric, etcetera, and drawing.  The ad was looking for folks to pose with or without clothes.  If I was going to pose I would have to be nude.  There is no doubt in my mind that I could do it.  I just can’t locally.  We are such a small area I just couldn’t risk running into a colleague or a customer, friend or foe.  But if I was in a strange city, just starting out, I like to think I would volunteer. 

I am not an out of the ordinary beauty.  In fact, I’m the plain Jane in the next cubicle.  I try to stay low key in the workplace because they just wouldn’t “get” me if I was really just me.  Only one place ever really embraced me and I will probably be searching the rest of my life for another just like it.  These are some of the things I could do, and people just understood:

·         Breaking out in song when a phrase was uttered that reminded me of it.  Example “Always something there to remind me” referencing the previous sentence!

·         Talking about a coffee commercial (Maxwell House) or a Hallmark commercial and falling into a bucket of tears as I’m describing it.  No biggie – that’s Jen.

·         Saving baby birds when they fell out of a nest over the office window by standing on chairs held by employees so I wouldn’t fall.

·         Whistling “If I Only Had a Brain” when the mood struck.

·         Decorating for holidays.

·         Organizing parades and getting everyone involved.

·         Hitting up my co-workers for donations for various charities I would walk for.  (Side note:  In my experience I have found that when you work with people who are living paycheck to paycheck, they are more generous with donating to charities, as opposed to people who are making a good living.  They hold their quarter until the eagle screams, and even then won’t let go).

·         Putting my photos on the wall at my desk.  My co-workers would ask who they were or what we were doing or where were we and comment and talk about what they did or if they’d been there, etcetera.  No one has asked me one question about my photos or cartoons in the last almost three years.

These are just a few small examples of me that I am unable to expose in my present position.  How I got here from posing naked, I’m not sure.  I guess it’s because I exposed a little bit of me, for you.  There has to be a better way for me to make a living.  I gotta get outta this place, if it’s the last thing I ever do…

My Dark Eyed Junkos - love them!
 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you feel so stifled in your current work environment...I can relate to many of the things you used to do. I often quote song lyrics to coworkers when they hand me a line...and then they stare at me like I should be committed. I hope you can find a place to be yourself, in all your wonderful ways!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete