Tuesday, April 21, 2015

PAD Day 20 - My (blank), the (blank)


My Friend, the Extreme

 
My best friend lived in the Port Authority in New York City for a short time

At least that’s what she said.

Every couple of days I get a new voice mail-

“I’m losing weight”

“I’ve been sick”

“Did I ever have a baby and give it up?”

“I think I have a brain tumor”

“Good news – no tumor, just a sinus infection”

And on and on and on…

I love her, she’s a good person, and I wish her well

but I think she’s got the corner on crazy.

Between hospital stays and pets at death’s door

I’ve had to stand back and detach a little.

I’ve told her that I hate being on the phone and that I will write to her.

And I do, once a month, to let her know what I’m up to.

And she can call and leave a message, because she’s not a writer.

But if I get on the phone with her

The silences, where I want to tell her she needs help,

that she’s a hypochondriac,

that her past is so messed up in her head, are hard to deal with.

I want so badly for her to end the call but I have to be the one.

Every.

Single .

Time.

I remain in touch with her after years of silence

Because I know she needs a friend, and I do too.

It’s just that sometimes, she’s just too much.

And most times, for her, I’m not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment