Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cheerios - the Drama


   Ok, John Q. Public, what’s wrong with the new Cheerios commercial?  As I was scanning news stories this morning I heard that a ton of the public took umbrage to the idea of a bi-racial family in the new Cheerios commercial.  Really?  I have to wonder why that is.  I seriously don’t understand it and what populations are so against it?  I think it’s great.  I think it shows that General Mills is more in touch with our country than our government is. 

You can watch it on youtube:


   Think about it.  Maybe we should have the government hire someone from Cheerios to discuss with them who we are, what we’re like, what we actually like and more than likely earn.  Because frankly, I don’t think the government has a clue, even though they do a census every ten years to find out where we live, who we live with, if we are living in sin, if we bring bastard children into the world, what we earn, if we own or rent or are homeless – you get the picture.  And then they classify middle class America as earning $200,000 a year.  Shit, I’m dirt poor then, and I’m better off than a lot in my neck of the woods.  If you’re wondering, I bring home almost $30,000 a year, but not quite.  I’m lucky.  I have a job and a reliable car.  I also have bills (and student loans and a child who refuses to grow up) and if I had to buy a car off the lot tomorrow I wouldn’t be able to afford it without cutting a ton out of my household budget. 

   Cheerios nails it with this family, and if you ask me it should have been presented long before this.  Long before we accepted reality shows as the norm, long before cartoon families became more real and more meaningful than our own.  Long before (and I’ll get flak for this) we recognized gay marriage in our sitcoms.  (By the way, I think gay marriage is ok, as long as you’re in love.) 

   Whoever is bashing the commercial needs to realize that this is the melting pot, as stated in a previous blog post.  My parent’s families immigrated here from Germany, Ireland and England.  The assimilated, went outside of their neighborhoods, met other people from other countries, had dinner and decided that this person sitting across from them, even though they spoke differently, was very interesting and quite possibly worth falling in love with.  Maybe even, (gasp!) have a child or two, with.  I’m sure there was an uproar from some of the older folks, but the kids got hitched and started their own families and here we are, several generations later gasping at a bi-racial couple. 

   C’mon America, pull your heads out.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment